Friday 25 November 2016

Me, Myself & Irene

As part of my research I was looking for films about D.I.D or split personality, one that caught my eye was 'Me, Myself & Irene'. This film is a comedy film starring Rene Zellweger and Jim Carey. Me, Myself & Irene is about 'A nice-guy cop with dissociative identity disorder must protect a woman on the run from a corrupt ex-boyfriend and his associates.' (IMDB)

The main character is called Charlie and his other personality is called Hank. Charlie is a state police man and a genuinely nice guy - bit of a pushover. Hank is a cocky, arrogant jerk. Charlie seems to get pushed around a lot but is too polite to say anything, so it seems as if Hank expresses all of Charlie's suppressed emotions. Hank is extremely confrontational whereas Charlie tends to shy away from conflict.
Charlie's wife cheats on him and leaves him, perhaps this trauma is what started the D.I.D. Instead of dealing with the anger and sadness he ignores it and tries to carry on with his normal life.


Throughout the film it becomes more apparent that Hank is extremely aware of Charlie, but Charlie doesn't seem to understand Hank very much, at one point in the film Hank says 'I stay out of his business and he stays out of mine', showing the understanding they have towards each other.
Towards the end of the film Charlie is extremely aware of Hank and even has a physical fight against him (even though he is punching himself). Charlie manages to gain control over Hank and make him disappear. 



After watching this film I thought about showing how my characters/personalities in my project are aware of each other? perhaps with some side ways glances or conflict between them, I thought it could be interesting - as if they were battling each other for the 'main' personalities attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment