Thursday 24 November 2016

24/11/16 Gallery visits

Today we spent the day going round London and visiting galleries for inspiration. We went to the Tate Modern & The Wellcome Collection at Euston Square. We were supposed to see Donna Huanca's work but couldn't find the place so didn't end up going.

Reflection from today:
  • After visiting Bedlam: the asylum and beyond, we thought it could be cool to use masks to represent the different emotions rather than facial expressions. - I really like this idea, I think it would work perfectly with multiple personality.
  • At the Tate we found lots of possible ways to suspend our piece (check pictures below), and different types of materials we could potentially use.
  • Recorded a sound effect we could use to represent the projector opening and shutting (found at Marina Abromovic 'Rhythm 0') - its the audio of the projector changing each image.
  • We found a piece of work that was suspended perfectly from the ceiling (pics below). So I think we should star experimenting with wire & materials.




I really liked the way this piece by Cristina Iglesias was set up. It's hung using really thin pieces of wire coming from the ceiling. I think we should use very thin pieces of wire for our piece so that it isn't obvious. I want our piece to feel as if its floating in the room.


















 I really like this please interact sign and I think we should put one next to our piece, but one that says please look around, but don't touch, just in case someone breaks our construction.


We found a room full of suspended projections, I took some pictures of how they were hung but the flash ruined the pictures. There were a few different ways of projecting/ suspending. I really like the way the artwork in the first image is presented. It was hung with wires from above and there was also wires underneath. It has speakers either side to project the sound. This piece was projected onto glass, which we talk about potentially using, but we realised how difficult it would be to use for multiple screens. The simplest form of projection was the bottom piece, it was just projecting straight onto the wall. Our piece will require something more complex than this.





I found a piece of art work that was painted onto material (silk screen print on canvas), which I thought was interesting to look at for potential material. The material was very thick and heavy, which means it probably wouldn't work for our piece, I don't think you would be able to see the projection through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment